Posted on: 26/08/2015, by @magnetlook
One jar of the miracle-worker coconut oil can replace the majority of your beauty products and even do their jobs better! The best part? One jar can cost as little as £2.00 or $2.00 for those in the states.
1. Coconut oil is a great body moisturiser and skin softener because it’s high in saturated fats, which help to retain moisture in the skin.
2. It can also be used as an anti-ageing cream for the face due to its antioxidant properties and the fact that it’s rich in proteins, thus helping to repair tissues and damaged cells in the skin. However, I wouldn’t recommend this to people with acne-prone or oily skin as coconut oil can be highly comedogenic.
3. To relieve dry, chapped lips, coconut oil can be used instead of normal lip balm.
4. Coconut oil works as an excellent make-up remover. It doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals meaning it’s safe to use on sensitive areas such as the delicate eye area to remove any eye shadow or mascara.
5. If you’re not willing to fork out on expensive shaving creams any more, coconut oil is a great alternative and will even keep your legs looking hydrated at the same time!
6. Coconut oil works really well as a leave-in deep conditioner when you apply it all over your hair and pop a shower cap on, sleep, then shower it off in the morning and wake up to the softest and shiniest hair of your life! You can also use it in place of your regular conditioner when you are washing your hair in the shower normally, by applying the coconut oil to the ends of your hair.
7. If you have dry, cracked heels then you couldn’t really do much better than coconut oil. Start off by melting some of the coconut oil in your hand (which will happen due to the temperature of your hand meeting the cooler oil) and rub it into the foot, especially on the worst areas. It’s best to leave the oil on overnight by wearing a pair of socks over it when you go to sleep.
8. Ever wanted longer lashes? Who hasn’t! Conditioning your eyelashes with a tiny amount of coconut oil, after you’ve taken your make-up off before you go bed, will help you to get them.
9. Instead of having to purchase a body scrub, you can make your own DIY one at home with coconut oil. By mixing brown sugar with the coconut oil, you have yourself a natural body, face or lip scrub. This scrub will be less harsh than the ones at the shops because there are no chemicals and you have the amazing moisturising properties of the coconut oil too.
10. For healthy gums, the latest technique is ‘oil pulling’. You do this by swishing a tablespoon of the coconut oil in your mouth for 10-20 minutes. It will help to remove bacteria and reduce plaque.
All this from one jar of coconut oil! What are you waiting for?